HP LTO Ultrium Cartridges - Overview and Features
HP LTO-5 Ultrium media offers the best capacity/performance ratio of any tape technology, with terabyte-class capacity and performance. It has almost double the capacity and offers faster performance compared to LTO-4 Ultrium, with built-in encryption capability and a Write Once Read Many (WORM) option - with no performance overhead. It can write or read data at a blistering 1 TB/hour, storing, encrypting and protecting up to 3 TB on a single cartridge, making it the big hitter in large-scale, 24x7, mission-critical IT environments.
Standardizing on HP LTO-5 Ultrium delivers the capacity to meet shrinking backup windows, industry-standard, AES 256-bit encryption (IEEE1619.1), and interchangeable RW or WORM media, without extra space or IT resource overhead.
• LTO-5 Ultrium Media - Increased capacity and performance: almost double the capacity and offers faster performance compared to LTO-4
• Write Once Read Many (WORM) option (LTO-3, LTO-4 and LTO-5)
• Built-in AES 256-bit encryption (IEEE1619.1) (LTO-4 and LTO-5)
Highest Capacity and Performance of any Comparable Tape Technology
Scalable storage & backup performance
• HP LTO-5 Ultrium can write or read data at a blistering 1 TB/hour, storing, encrypting and protecting up to 3 TB on a single cartridge, making it the big hitter in large-scale, 24x7, mission-critical IT environments.
High storage density and cost-effective media
• Smoother base film and smaller magnetic particles increase the bit density, allowing more data to be recorded in the same amount of tape. This has, for example, increased the number of recording tracks from 896 for LTO-4 to 1280 tracks for 5th generation HP LTO-5 Ultrium 3 TB cartridges.
Intelligent cartridge design
• LTO Ultrium cartridge memory chip delivers faster access time and enhanced media monitoring.
• First time restore ensured with fewer media failures and disrupted backups, regardless of duty cycle or environmental conditions.
• Superior 'smart grabber' mechanism and mechanical interlock to prevent the leader pin from being pulled inside the tape housing. Sensors detect proper connection and prevent leader loss that would ruin the tape.
Durable cartridge design
• Simplified tape path to reduce wear and tear and build up of and debris (important in automation).
Tested to extremes
• HP brand qualification test procedures (load/unload, shoeshine, drop testing and environmental stress testing) go far beyond what is required for the LTO Ultrium logo. This ensures maximum reliability for restoring your data.
Limited lifetime warranty
• HP warrants LTO Ultrium cartridges for up to 30 years archival life and/or 260 full backups. This ensures businesses can meet the ever-increasing demands of regulation for data retention and archiving.
• Write-Once-Read-Many (WORM) version provides tamperproof, compliant data storage.
• Data encryption for enhanced data security on HP LTO-4 and LTO-5 Ultrium.
Value for money
Very low media cost per GB
• Standardizing on HP LTO-4 or LTO-5 Ultrium delivers the capacity to meet shrinking backup windows, industry-standard, AES 256-bit encryption (IEEE1619.1), and interchangeable RW or WORM media; without extra space or IT resource overhead.
Flexibility and choice
• Open standard technology ensures compatibility across product generations and gives you more choice. Cartridges are available as Custom Labeled, Non-Custom Labeled and non-labeled versions to fit with your data centre management criteria
LTO-1 Ultrium, LTO-2 Ultrium, LTO-3 Ultrium, LTO-4 Ultrium, LTO-5 Ultrium
Write-on Labels in box
Re-Writable and Write-once media
Quantity per Package
Maximum, depending on model
Maximum, depending on media type
LTO-1 medium blue; LTO-2 red; LTO-3 yellow; LTO-4 green; LTO-5 light blue
846 m Maximum, depending on model
Tape Width (Metric)
6.4 um Minimum, depending on model
Base Film Type
343 kbits/inch Maximum, depending on model
Number of Data Tracks
Maximum, depending on model
Magnetic Layer Coercivity
2850 Oe Maximum, depending on model
Archival Storage Life
1,000,000 passes on any area of tape, equates to over 20,000 end to end passes/260 full tape backups
Storage Media Compatibility Matrix
| Stock code || BMUTh3|
| Brand || HPE|
| Series || Ultrium LTO-3 Tape|
| Model || C7973A|
| Type (alternate) || LTO-3|
| Date added || 15/12/2004|
C7973A Spec Information
| Capacity || 400GB|
| Capacity (compressed) || 800GB|
| Write-Once (WORM) || N|
Why People Choose Us?
14 Day Return Guarantee
If you change your mind, you can return all or part of your order.
Next Day Delivery
Order before 4pm*, and in-stock products will be with you the next day. (Or Saturday. Or even Same Day).
Wherever you are in the world, we can get your order to you at high speed.
SpanStor Build & Test
Our free service helps you choose the right NAS and Drives, then makes sure it is built & ready to use as soon as you get it.
Professional Live Support
We are here to assist you - before, during and after your purchase, by phone, email or live chat.